Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Busy Saturday...but hives are built




This morning we went to the second day of a two day marriage seminar. It was nice that we got out around noon and still has half of the day left. After a crazy week at work (800 miles of driving) I was exhausted and convinced Allison of the desperate need of a nap. So we both took a quick nap. Then it was time to get up and GET BUSY! We were sitting around talking about the placement of the bees, the other day, and realized we needed to put a coat of paint on the side of the house that bees will be on. We both figured it might be more fun to paint it now before we had 120,000 curious bees watching us. So we painted the side of the house. We will finish it up tomorrow. It is supposed to be yet another cooler (85 degrees) out. That should make it a little easier.


Allison wanted a night out with her friend and left me to my hive building. I was able to put together four deeps and two shallow supers. In case you were wondering, yes....I am covered in wood glue and yes.....I hammered my finger at least once. I am very happy with the finished product. All that is left to to assemble 48 comb frames and paint the hive body. We are still on track, folks, for the arrival of the bees next weekend.






The pictures above show two starter hives (on the left) and what they will look like once the bees start to grow in numbers and need room for babies and HONEY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment